We are hoping that our season will be able to start soon. Just waiting for advice from Branch and hoping all the work our community has done getting the jab allows for us to start Nippers as soon as possible. Information about the start of Nippers will be posted here, plus on Team app and in our Top five.
Ever wondered what all those kids, big and little were doing at Newport Beach on a Sunday from 9am? Well read on, and come and join the fun!
Nippers is Surf Life Saving for children aged between 5 and 13 years. Children from 5 to 7 years may join on an educational basis, while children from 8 years up may join in competitions representing Newport SLSC. They can compete in Northern Beaches inter-club competitions, Sydney Branch and state carnivals. While competition is an important element, surf awareness and education is the primary aim. Children are taught how to respect and read the surf, and to use it to their advantage.
On completion of the season, all children will receive a certificate to show they have gained the skills required in their age group. Our award system works on participation. Every child from U6 to U8 will get a bronze medal for participation and a certificate if he or she has registered before mid-December. Children from U9 to U14 will get a gold medal if they have attended 80% of Sunday Nippers (this includes representing the club at competitions). This allows for children to miss only 4 Sunday mornings. Nippers is an educational program so it is important that children try to attend as much of nippers as possible to get the most out of the program. Children that do not meet the 80% attendance will get a certificate to show their accomplishment. We encourage all children and parents to come to each Sunday morning as the skills learnt will only get stronger with practice, and in turn will allow your child’s confidence to grow when it comes to surf lifesaving.
Joining Our Nippers’ Programme
Any girl or boy may join Nippers and you DON’T have to be competitive or athletic or even confident in the surf. One of the best things about Nippers is seeing young children who are scared of the water lose their fear during the season. Children with disabilities are welcome but in some cases a Doctor’s letter will be requested stating that the child is capable of undertaking certain events or activities. In all cases, the child would not be expected to participate in any event or activity where the disability might cause danger to the child.
- Before any child is allowed to participate in any water event or activity (ie. an event where they would be in water out of their depth) they are required to take a proficiency evaluation.
- The proficiencies are at Brooke Withers Swim School, Warriewood (dates and times to be advised). A gold coin donation is required for entry. Only Nippers in Age Groups U8-U14 (SRC) are required to complete this pool swim and float proficiency.
- Children who cannot pass the minimum proficiency are limited for their safety to beach and wade events only.
- Children who wish to compete at carnivals in both water and beach events will be required to undertake an open water swim proficiency. Please see your Age Manager for details about this Competition Proficiency Swim.
Nipper Membership Fees
Registration for 2021-22 Season
All new memberships and renewals are completed online.
Note: for parents and guardians of first-year Nippers, please email a photo of their birth certificate or passport to our registrar. For any queries regarding registration please contact our club.
Nippers Competition Group
Please see our Competition page for details of our competition program and training opportunities.
Parents are actively encouraged to participate in their child’s Age Group activities. Many parents are former (or current) members of Life Saving Clubs and assist with the provision of water safety for events. Other parents act as age officials, managers or committee members (bronze not required for these 3 roles). Any parent who is interested in doing their Bronze Medallion please see your child’s Age Manager who will provide you with details.
Member Protection Forms
All adult members need to fill in a Member Protection Form. Once completed and signed the forms can be brought along to Nippers on a Sunday morning.
Purchase of Club Gear and Nipper Caps
- A compulsory safety rash vest and club cap for first-time Nippers is included in the membership fee. The collection method will be advised soon.
- Our clothing shop is available online and will be open (in the Nippers’ shed on the beach side of the club) during Nippers to enable the purchase of club gear and Nipper caps.
Email our Nipper Chairman