WE ARE BACK
Nippers returned on Sunday 31/10/2021. Due to covid we are doing a staggered start until 1/12/2021 when we will return as one group.
But to start with, the mornings will look like this:
- 8.30 – 10.30 am SRC
- 9.00am – 9.45 am U6, U8, U10, U12
- 10.00 – 10.45 am U7, U9, U11, U13, Dolphin and Marlins
Please arrive 15 minutes early and line up behind your age flag where your age manager will mark your name off. DO NOT leave the beach until your name has been marked off for a second time. If you need to leave early please ensure the Age Manager is notified.
Make sure you bring a hat, drink bottle and sun cream. All nippers must wear a skull cap and nipper yellow rashie for safety purposes. New Nippers will be given theirs on the first day. These will be found in the Age tubs and given out by your Age Manager. Returning nippers will have to purchase new ones if they have out grown or lost their uniform from last season.
The shop is open most Sunday mornings to grab any items that may be needed.
Due to covid our normal pool proficiencies could not be held. Proficiencies will be undertaken by your Age Manager most likely in the rock pools the first few weeks of Nippers.
Please down load team app – and get access to Newport surf club. You will need to select the age group of your children and request access. Stipulate your name and the age of your children for access to this. Most information is put out through team app.
Newport Nippers likes to take care of the environment – so please be mindful of not leaving any rubbish on the beach and try to BYO drink bottles etc.
Nippers is Surf Life Saving for children aged between 5 and 13 years. Children from 5 to 7 years may join on an educational basis, while children from 8 years up may join in competitions representing Newport SLSC. They can compete in Northern Beaches inter-club competitions, Sydney Branch and state carnivals. While competition is an important element, surf awareness and education is the primary aim. Children are taught how to respect and read the surf, and to use it to their advantage.
On completion of the season, all children will receive a certificate to show they have gained the skills required in their age group. Our award system works on participation. Every child from U6 to U8 will get a bronze medal for participation and a certificate if he or she has registered before mid-December. Children from U9 to U14 will get a gold medal if they have attended 80% of Sunday Nippers (this includes representing the club at competitions). This allows for children to miss only 4 Sunday mornings. Nippers is an educational program so it is important that children try to attend as much of nippers as possible to get the most out of the program. Children that do not meet the 80% attendance will get a certificate to show their accomplishment. We encourage all children and parents to come to each Sunday morning as the skills learnt will only get stronger with practice, and in turn will allow your child’s confidence to grow when it comes to surf lifesaving.
Joining Our Nippers’ Programme
Any girl or boy may join Nippers and you DON’T have to be competitive or athletic or even confident in the surf. One of the best things about Nippers is seeing young children who are scared of the water lose their fear during the season. Children with disabilities are welcome but in some cases a Doctor’s letter will be requested stating that the child is capable of undertaking certain events or activities. In all cases, the child would not be expected to participate in any event or activity where the disability might cause danger to the child.
- Before any child is allowed to participate in any water event or activity (ie. an event where they would be in water out of their depth) they are required to take a proficiency evaluation.
- If your child cannot pass the minimum proficiency this does not mean they can not join. It means however that the ratio to child to water safety is 1:1 as apposed to 1:5. For this reason we need as many parents doing their bronze and helping with water safety as much as possible. We are here to help water proof your kids, but this can be done if we all do it together. The more water safety we have the more time your nipper can spend in the water.
- Children who wish to compete at carnivals in both water and beach events will be required to undertake an open water swim proficiency. Please see our Head Coach for details about this Competition Proficiency Swim. All kids that compete must come to training and flat water is a must!
Nipper Membership Fees
Registration for 2021-22 Season
All new memberships and renewals are completed online.
Note: for parents and guardians of first-year Nippers, please email a photo of their birth certificate or passport to our registrar. For any queries regarding registration please contact our club.
Nippers Competition Group
Please see our Competition page for details of our competition program and training opportunities.
Parents are actively encouraged to participate in their child’s Age Group activities. Many parents are former (or current) members of Life Saving Clubs and assist with the provision of water safety for events. Other parents act as age officials, managers or committee members (bronze not required for these 3 roles). Any parent who is interested in doing their Bronze Medallion please see your child’s Age Manager who will provide you with details.
Member Protection Forms
All adult members need to fill in a Member Protection Form. Once completed and signed the forms can be brought along to Nippers on a Sunday morning.
Purchase of Club Gear and Nipper Caps
- A compulsory safety rash vest and club cap for first-time Nippers is included in the membership fee. The collection method will be advised soon.
- Our clothing shop is available online and will be open (in the Nippers’ shed on the beach side of the club) during Nippers to enable the purchase of club gear and Nipper caps.
Email our Nipper Chairman