What is the Newport Kinghorn Surf Racing Academy?
The Newport Kinghorn Surf Racing Academy is a unique sporting facility on Sydney’s Northern Beaches
Competitive surf lifesaving is iconic to Australia. Traditionally the sport has been dominated by Queensland competitors, many of whom have “emigrated” from NSW. We seek to change that imbalance – and create an enduring facility that nurtures talent from the earliest age, and has a structure capable of retaining elite talent on the Northern Beaches. The Northern Beaches is an extremely fertile nursery for elite sportsmen and women; however there is simply an inadequate level of infrastructure available to retain our most elite athletes when compared to Queensland – who benefit from licensed clubs with gaming facilities. Without the ability to be competitive, most of these athletes will either migrate to Queensland or leave the sport.
Aims of the Academy
The Academy is also aims to foster the development of athletes who will eventually specialise in a number of sports outside pure surf lifesaving (it is worth noting that the London Olympics featured 60 athletes either current or members of the broader team with a competitive history in surf lifesaving). We seek to raise sufficient funds to establish a permanent facility and to ensure that the programme can become permanently self-funding.
Newport SLSC established an elite programme in 2011 and has already achieved outstanding results, including multiple gold medal winners at the 2012 World Championships, 2012 Australian Surf Lifesaving Championships, 2012 New South Wales Surf Life Saving Championships and Under 19 Coolangatta Gold. More details of the goals of the programme and its success can be viewed in the accompanying online document available at Newport Kinghorn Surf Racing Academy.
Community service and surf lifesaving
Community service is at the very core of the surf lifesaving movement. This programme instils the importance of that commitment in every member of the academy. We believe that in supporting this programme you are not only supporting the retention and development of elite athletes, but you are supporting the creation of a better local community with the most efficient and effective surf lifesavers patrolling our local beaches.
We are always open to build relationships with people who share the same passion for community involvement and trust this is a compelling opportunity for the following reasons:
- Funds will be solely used for specialist training infrastructure, select high performance coaching and in establishing a self-funding academy – the balance of the coaching staff, individual competitors equipment and travel arrangements are either voluntary or funded by individual competitors.
- Elite competitors are the magnet for attracting younger participants to what is one of the most iconic, egalitarian and healthy of Australian sports – a majority of Australians can recall the likes of Grant Kenny, Trevor Hendy and Shannon Eckstein and place them as synonymous with some of the great Australian values. We hope this programme will in time produce graduates with similar attributes.
- The Academy will serve as a permanent legacy, of which you can feel justifiably proud.
- Various levels of sponsorships/naming rights are available if desired.
- Access to academy staff or competitors available if required.
- All contributors will be sent regular updates of the programme and its achievements and an invitation to join our Facebook group as well as an invitation to our annual function attended by all academy staff and competitors.
Donating to the Academy
Contributions are tax deductible. Contributions of any amount are greatly appreciated with a variety of opportunities to suit individuals, businesses and corporations.
Direct Bank Deposit
Account name: Newport Surf Life Saving Club
Account Number: 372055
Business and corporate sponsorship
To build a business or corporate package designed to your budget and objectives, please email the academy.
We look forward to welcoming you as a supporter of the Newport Kinghorn Surf Racing Academy and in ensuring the best of our athletes not only remain in a sport with such fundamental community values but also remain on their local beaches to provide that service.