Parents have an important role in the delivery and support of sporting activities for their own and other children. With it comes a clear responsibility to always act in a constructive and encouraging manner. As part of this responsibility the following Code of Behaviour have been adopted by the Newport Surf Lifesaving Club Junior Activities Committee (Nippers).
Parents, Caregivers, & Spectators Code of Behaviour
- Remember that children participate in sport for their enjoyment and development.
- Encourage children to participate, do not force them.
- Focus on the child’s efforts and performance rather than winning or losing. Set realistic goals.
- Encourage children to always play according to the rules and to settle disagreements without resorting to hostility or violence.
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- Remember children learn best by example.
- Appreciate good performances and skilful plays by all participants.
- Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from sporting activities.
- Respect official’s decisions and teach children to do likewise.
- Show appreciation for coaches, age managers, officials, and administrators. Without them, your child could not participate.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others.
- If you disagree with an official, coach, age manager, raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than question the officials’ judgement and honesty in public. Remember that most officials, coaches, and Age Managers give their time and effort for your child’s involvement.
- Follow any guidelines that are stipulated by the club and directed from Branch. In accordance to maintaining and sanitising of equipment and all areas of the club including change rooms.